.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Made in Madurai                

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Madurai Mani Iyer - Carnatic Music Singer from Madurai

Madurai Mani Iyer (1912-1968) was a famous Carnatic music singer, who was famous for his unique style. He was one of the celebrated carnatic vocalists during the first half of the 20th century.

Madurai Mani Iyer, whose original name was Subramanian was born to Sri Ramaswamy Iyer and Smt.Subbulakshmi in Madurai on October 25, 1912. His father Sri.M.S.Ramaswami Iyer, a Sub-court Clerk, was the brother of the famous Vidwan Pushpavanam, who was a great classical musician himself.

Mani Iyer's tutelage in music started at the tender age of nine. His first guru was Sri Rajam Bhagavathar who was Disciple of Ettayapuram Ramachandra Bhagavathar.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • I think it was in the yeae 1953 I heard Mani Iyer sing at Kapali temple, Mylapore. I was returning after a V.Ball game . I was a leading player then in Madras state and had no ear for music. Earlier to that I had banned a player (one Viswanathan who came late for practice and when asked for reason told he had been listening to Carnatic music. I didnt go into the temple but listend from the banks of the temple tank and was spell bound. He was singing swaras of Kambodi. From that day I developed a taste for music and listend to Mani Iyer' performances. To this day I listen to him when I need an elavation.

    Krishnaswamy Rajagopalan
    Youth Officer, Ministry of Sports, Gvt. of India.(retired)

    By Blogger Poetry blog!, at 3:07 AM  

  • Dear Sir,

    I am very glad to see your comment on this post. Advices and Blessing from senior people like you are very much needed for youths like me.

    thank you

    By Blogger Madurai Machan, at 3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
`
Personal Top Blogs