.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Made in Madurai                

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Remembering Madurai - Yen Sontha ooru - Vadivelkarai!!

Remembering Madurai - Yen Sontha ooru - Vadivelkarai!!

Though I was born in Madurai, the place my father was born and the place where my
grandfather lived was Vadivelkarai, a small village just near Nagamalai Pudukkottai, like less than 10 Kms away from Central Madurai.

Just for reference sake, a nearby village is called Keezhakkuyilkudi.
Just in between these two villages - there is a temple called Karuppana saamy temple. This temple is surrounded by a lotus pond and a small mountain/hill.
The hill is called Samanar Malai(Samanar's hill). I have noticed steps carved for the visitors to climb up the mountain. When you go really up, you can see statues carved out of the mountains for the buddha and mahavira's. Looks like many saints and artists do their work or meditation in this mountain. In the back of the mountain you can see an archaelogically safeguarded cave kind of a thing, in which you can rest in peace.

The pond which has lotus flowers looks beautiful. You can find people taking bath in four entries to the pond. It is even said that there is a crocodile inside this pond. Well, I have not seen one, but I have seen lots of fishes. In winter, we can see lot of water. In summer, the water gets reduced.

I used to visit this village very often, from my school days. I always loved this place, because it is a village and life is very simple. I have felt the difference even in those days - about city and village. A complex to simple life - just with Madurai and Vadivelkarai!! I have felt more happiness in a village, rather than Madurai city.

My grandfather passed away, but he is still lived by his wife - my grandmother. We still have a small house in the village.

If you are a visitor or tourist of Madurai, if you get a chance, please visit this place - If you are in Madurai - you can go to this village from any busstand. There is a direct bus from Madurai Periyar Central Busstand, but you have to take two buses from other busstands.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Hi Madurai Machan,

    It was surprising for me to see my native place (Vadivelkarai) on internet.Keep update more on upcoming events on our place.

    regards
    Thiyaga

    By Blogger Thiyagarajan, at 4:29 PM  

  • Thiyagarajan,

    thanks for your comment.
    Were you born in vadivelkarai or your father was born there?

    where is your or your father's house in the village? Just curious!

    By Blogger Madurai Machan, at 9:06 PM  

  • Hi Man,

    Madurai Machan - Can I know your name and your fathers name too.

    Thiyagarajan - did you stay at VVK.

    I am born and brought up at VVK.

    By Blogger King, at 10:14 PM  

  • Hi Man,

    can i know ur real name guys.

    Thiyagarajan are u born at VVK and did u still stay there?

    By Blogger King, at 10:17 PM  

  • Hi King,

    Send me a one line e-mail to maduraitimes@gmail.com and I will e-mail my real name.

    thank you

    By Blogger Madurai Machan, at 11:18 PM  

  • my grandpa expired long time back but my grandma died last year.

    By Blogger Madurai Machan, at 3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
`
Personal Top Blogs