.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Made in Madurai                

Friday, July 28, 2006

H4 Visa women are vulnerable?

I was really worried, surprised and shocked to read this story/article...

LIFE for Ritu will never be the same again. Ever since coming to the United States to join her husband, a software engineer, she has been abused by the man, his mother and his brother; a cycle of physical, psychological, sexual, and financial abuse. She is not allowed to leave their one-bedroom apartment in New York without a family member in tow. Most days are spent cooking, cleaning, and wondering whether her husband will give her money to buy a course of antibiotics for their eight-month-old son. "I do not ask for anything for myself, not even a pair of chappals," she told me when I met her in connection with a survey of women on the H-4 visa. "But this is our baby, his baby. I need only $7 for Sarthik, for ear medicine."

For the past nine days Sarthik has been crying incessantly. The most surprising element of her story is that Ritu is a doctor.

Check out more here...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
`
Personal Top Blogs